Contact: +91-9711224068
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

(ICV-Poland) Impact Value: 76.37, Impact Factor: RJIF 5.69
E-ISSN: 2347-5129, P-ISSN: 2394-0506

International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies

2018, Vol. 6, Issue 3, Part A

Livelihood condition of fishermen at Amtali Upazila, Barguna, Bangladesh


Author(s): Md. Ibrahim, Md. Elias Khan, Md. Mahmudul Hasan and Ruma Khanam

Abstract: Most of the people of Bangladesh are fishermen and they lead a vulnerable livelihood condition. The present study was conducted on Amtali Upazila of Barguna district in three discrete points; 1) Atharo Gachia, 2) Chowra and 3) Gulishakhali during the period from 19 June to 25 December, 2017. This study focuses on the livelihood condition of river side fishermen of the study area and to recommend some management options to enhance their livelihood status. The livelihood condition of fishermen in Amtali Upazila according to the age groups was 20-35 years highest (70%) in Chowra and religion status was highest 100% Muslim in Chowra. The education level of the study area was highest 40% in Gulishakhali and family size was highest 80% medium in Atharo Gachia. The single earning members was highest 80% in Chowra and housing condition was highest 90% semipacca in Chowra. The sanitation conditions was highest 100% semipacca in Chowra and health facilities was founded 80% in Chowra area. All fishermen were using tube well water facilities and electricity facilities was highest 10% in Atharo Gachia. The highest 90% financial support was provided from NGO in Chowra and the quantity per day capturing fishes 6-10kg was 60% in Chowra. The highest income above 20001tk was found in both Chowra and Gulishakhali (10%).On the other hand highest 90% of fishermen from Atharo Gachia was found to be engaged with agriculture except rest of the areas. Fishermen were faced various problems such as social, economic and technical problems, which was identified during the survey in the study area. Study recommended that GOs, NOGs and local leaders should come forward for resolving this problem so that the livelihood status of fishermen may enhance.

Pages: 13-24  |  540 Views  42 Downloads

Download Full Article: Click Here

How to cite this article:
Md. Ibrahim, Md. Elias Khan, Md. Mahmudul Hasan and Ruma Khanam. Livelihood condition of fishermen at Amtali Upazila, Barguna, Bangladesh. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2018; 6(3): 13-24.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mosquito Journal
Call for book chapter
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals