Contact: +91-9711224068
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

(ICV-Poland) Impact Value: 76.37, Impact Factor: RJIF 5.69
E-ISSN: 2347-5129, P-ISSN: 2394-0506

International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies

2016, Vol. 4, Issue 3, Part E

Availability of fish species at the cinema hall fish market in Dumki, Patuakhali


Author(s): Md Jahangir Alam, Sharmin Akter, Suprakash Chakma, Md Waheduzzaman, Sharmin Akter Maghna

Abstract: The present study was carried out on the fish species availability in the cinema hall fish market at Dumki Upazilla in Patuakahli district from August, 2015 to November, 2015. A total of 67 inland and marine water fish and crustacean species were observed. Out of 67 fish species, 64 species belongs to finfish and rest 3 species to crustacean. Amongst the fin fish species, 41 were freshwater, 8 exotic and 15 marine water species. It was observed from the studies that 36% of fish supplied in the markets were Ilish, 11.33% Catfishes, 6% Prawn and Shrimp, 15.33% small indigenous species, 6% Marine fish, 11.33% Carps, 6.66% Thai pangas, 5% Tilapia and 2.33% Thai koi. Virtually most of the fish (80%) are brought from different rivers and ponds of the Patuakhali region and the remaining (20%) from Jessore and Satkhira region. The most abundant freshwater fish species were Gebelion catla, Labeo rohita, Clarias batrachus, Cirrhinus cirrhosus, Channa punctatus and marine fishes were Lates calcarifer, Thunnus albacores, Johnius argentatus, Polynemus indicus were most abundant. Nine species were detected critically or somewhat endangered. Various recommendations and measures have been suggested to improve the fish market.

Pages: 339-342  |  1116 Views  32 Downloads

Download Full Article: Click Here

How to cite this article:
Md Jahangir Alam, Sharmin Akter, Suprakash Chakma, Md Waheduzzaman, Sharmin Akter Maghna. Availability of fish species at the cinema hall fish market in Dumki, Patuakhali. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2016; 4(3): 339-342.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mosquito Journal
Call for book chapter
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals