Contact: +91-9711224068
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

(ICV-Poland) Impact Value: 76.37, Impact Factor: RJIF 5.69
E-ISSN: 2347-5129, P-ISSN: 2394-0506

International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies

2015, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Part B

Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) Marketing System in greater Jessore Region, Bangladesh


Author(s): Md. Mostafizur Rahaman, Md. Abu Zafar, BM Newaz Sharif, Prianka Paul, Abdulla-Al-Asif, Md. Monirul Islam, Md. Ibrahim Hossain

Abstract: The study was carried out to access on the present status of Tilapia (Oreochromismossambicus) marketingin Jessore sadar in Jessore district. Study period was carried out during June 2013 to December 2013. For the market survey, two important fish markets in Jessore town, namely Boro Bazaar and Rail-station Bazaar Similarly, two important local fish markets in the Jessore Sadar namely Churamonkati Bazaar and Ambot-tola Bazaar were selected to carry out comparative studies of tilapia marketing between town and local markets. A total of 80 traders were interviewed in Local and Town markets, 40 in each area.In the study area65% of harvested tilapias are sold to the local agents, while the rest (35%) are sold to the suppliers and about 60% of tilapias are transported to the boro bazaar. The rest (40%) of the tilapia, which are under-sized, are transported to nearby local markets.The average farm-gate prices of tilapia varied between Tk 55 and Tk 85 per kg. According to the survey, a wholesaler typically operates with capital of around Tk 11,968 per day, ranging from Tk 8,350 to Tk 27,125 per day. According to the survey, 70% of wholesalers used their own money for fish marketing including tilapia, while the rest (30%) received loans. In the study area tilapia comes from Jhenidah, Satkhira, Jessore then it is supplied to Boro Bazar to wholesaler then it is distributed towards local market. Around 20 to 25 individuals are associated with fish trading including tilapia, except for Boro Bazaar which is larger. The total average marketing costs from producers to consumers was calculated to be Tk 13.02 per kg of tilapia which is sub-divided into: primary market – Tk 3.25 (25%), secondary market – Tk 4.75 (36%), and retail market – Tk 5.02 (39%). In the study area, tilapia prices are generally lower between September and December, rising during the following four to five months. The highest average marketing margin and profit per kilogram of tilapia was found in secondary market, followed by retail and primary market. The proportion of respondents identifying poor road and transport facilities was 24%. Only 20% and 12% of traders identified lack of money for this business. In case of socio economic condition traders 25% has earthen house and 65% has Pucca house and 10% has Semi pucca house. In the study area about 35% traders goes to the MBBS and rest of 65% are goes to the quack or non trained doctor. Traders has earthen toilet of 27%, Pucca toilet is 50% and Semi pucca is 23%. All traders have education at some level, which implies that the reported literacy rate is 83%. Most traders were quite young, with an average age estimated at 36 with a range from 23 to 57. The average family size of tilapia traders was estimated at 5.5 in a single family.

Pages: 95-102  |  834 Views  39 Downloads

Download Full Article: Click Here

How to cite this article:
Md. Mostafizur Rahaman, Md. Abu Zafar, BM Newaz Sharif, Prianka Paul, Abdulla-Al-Asif, Md. Monirul Islam, Md. Ibrahim Hossain. Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) Marketing System in greater Jessore Region, Bangladesh. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2015; 3(2): 95-102.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mosquito Journal
Call for book chapter
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals