Contact: +91-9711224068
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

(ICV-Poland) Impact Value: 76.37, Impact Factor: RJIF 5.69
E-ISSN: 2347-5129, P-ISSN: 2394-0506

International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies

2014, Vol. 2, Issue 2, Part E

Challenges and Emerging Opportunities associated with Aquaculture development in Zambia


Author(s): Nsonga Albert and Mwiya Simbotwe

Abstract: The Aquaculture subsector in Zambia produces about 10, 000 tonnes per year of fish and of this, 75 percent comes from small-scale aquaculture, while commercial fish farmers produce the other 25 percent. Aquaculture is expanding in all ten provinces of the country, and as a result, Zambia is now one of the largest aquaculture producers in sub-Sahara Africa. This trend presents enormous investment opportunities in the sector with the government creating an enabling environment. A paradigm shift from mere management of a collapsing capture fishery to the promotion of aquaculture would reduce fishing pressure on capture fisheries and provide opportunities for improved nutrition and increased incomes for the rural poor. However full potential in aquaculture has not been fully seized owing to a spiral of bottlenecks associated with the subsector. In this article an attempt has been made to outline chronologically aquaculture projects that have been implemented in the past and also highlight on the challenges and emerging opportunities associated with aquaculture development in the country. Suggestions have been made on priority areas requiring attention in order to accelerate sector development.

Pages: 232-237  |  717 Views  10 Downloads

Download Full Article: Click Here

How to cite this article:
Nsonga Albert and Mwiya Simbotwe. Challenges and Emerging Opportunities associated with Aquaculture development in Zambia. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2014; 2(2): 232-237.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mosquito Journal
Call for book chapter
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals